from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A person regarded as obnoxiously self-assertive.
- n. Informal An impudent person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who is given to obnoxious or insolent humor; a wise guy.
- n. One who is pretentious about their own cleverness or knowledge; a know-it-all.
- n. One who is obnoxiously self-assured; a show off.
- n. A well-dressed person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an upstart who makes conceited, sardonic, insolent comments
Perhaps after Aleck Hoag, 19th-century American confidence man and thief.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Aleck is a nickname for Alexander. The phrase "smart aleck" is possibly derived from the name Aleck Hoag, a 19th century con man and thief. (Wiktionary)