from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that is starving or being starved.
- adj. Starving.
- adj. Poor in quality; inadequate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who is thin from lack of food.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, pines from lack of food, or nutriment.
- adj. Hungry; lean; pining with want.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A starving or starved person; an animal or a plant that is made thin or lean and weak through want of nourishment.
- Starving (from hunger or cold); hungry; lean; pining with want.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who is starving (or being starved)
And this after what the magazine calls "decades of whittling" in the state's financial support for UC, culminating in a "starveling" budget!
Compare some of these to what's said this political season: â¢ "You starveling, you eel skin, you bull's pizzle!" â¢ "You stock-fish, you bow case!"
• "You starveling, you eel skin, you bull's pizzle!"
The silly spotty dog is a natural-eared blue merle Great Dane; her name is Signy; she's ten years and one month old, and when I first met her as a two-year-old she was a starveling shelter rescue so thin I could span her waist with my hands.
As these creatures were changed from the starveling savages who were their ancestors.
Mrs. Crook, "she turned to call to the departing housekeeper," when you've done wi 'the bannocks, fix this starveling man a bowl of parritch to fill in the chinks with.
Whose fscking brilliant idea was it to take this starveling waif and stretch her across these rough, scratchy, painful rocks so that one of them is digging visibly into her chest?
I tasted the wine Galan had drunk, his full lower lip, his curving upper lip, and I was a starveling at a feast, my kisses all hunger and gluttony, and his were the same.
One of my sisters was in downtown San Jose when this starveling stray all but clawed through a fence to get to her.
These are long gaunt starveling hounds, they are war dogs, hell dogs, boneyard hounds beset by parasitic mites, by dog tumors and dog cancers.