from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun An optical instrument with two eyepieces used to impart a three-dimensional effect to two photographs of the same scene taken at slightly different angles.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An instrument resembling a catheter with a bell-like extremity, used in the diagnosis of stone in the bladder or of bullets and other foreign substances in the body.
  • noun An optical instrument illustrating the phenomena of binocularvision, and serving to produce from two nearly similar pictures of an object the effect of a single picture with the appearance of relief and solidity belonging to ordinary vision.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun An optical instrument for giving to pictures the appearance of solid forms, as seen in nature. It combines in one, through a bending of the rays of light, two pictures, taken for the purpose from points of view a little way apart. It is furnished with two eyeglasses, and by refraction or reflection the pictures are superimposed, so as to appear as one to the observer.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun an instrument used for viewing pairs of stereoscopic photographs

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun an optical device for viewing stereoscopic photographs


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Flat I see, then think distance, near, far, flat I see, east, back. Ah, see now. Falls back suddenly, frozen in stereoscope.

    Joyce, Ulysses, 3

    December 30, 2006