from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who survives; one who endures through disaster or hardship.
- n. One who knew a specific decedent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who survives or outlives another person, or any time, event, or thing.
- n. The longer liver of two joint tenants, or two persons having a joint interest in anything.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which survives after the death of another.
- n. In law, that one of two or more designated persons who lives the longest: usually of two joint tenants, or any two persons who have a joint interest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one who outlives another
- n. one who lives through affliction
- n. an animal that survives in spite of adversity
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Seidenfeld added that he resents the term survivor, since he doesn't think he ever truly "survived" the experience.
"In using the term survivor," the study goes on, "they minimized focus on the event and maximized emphasis on their recovery and strength."
The other survivor is a bombastic general from the other clan, in thrall to military glory, in love with death.
"I had, in a sense, what they call survivor's guilt because I wasn't there and I had no control over the situation," he said.
"Everybody else will be relieved, but there's also what they call survivor's guilt, so if you do have to downsize, you have to do it knowledgeably."
Wellwishers and dignitaries of all colours made speeches to honour what they called a survivor, a symbol of triumph over despair.
Founded in 1998, the dot-com survivor is way past the 4-to-7-year-old window in which most VCs seek to gain liquidity, and has even outlasted the 10-year lifespan of most VC funds.
Healing faster than he should, Oâ€ ™ Roark helps his partner and their new teammate survey the scene of the latest of Herrodâ€ ™ s victim, who was the only survivor from the bus attack.
A survivor from the typhoon that devastated Taiwan told how she and her grandson were surrounded by rising water in their mountain village.
She is epic in ways that Oscar can only dream of being; she's the last survivor from a destroyed family who lives in the wastes of