from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Casual mealtime conversation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Conversation, especially of an informal or somewhat gossipy nature, among a group seated together for a meal or other social activity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. conversation at table, or at meals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Familiar conversation at or around a table, as at a meal or an entertainment; what is said in the free intercourse between persons during or after meals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. conversation during a meal
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It was really an advantage not being able to follow the conversation, since it kept me busy catering for myself and at the same time making sure I met Meta’s glances to show proper appreciation; and anyway, when Wolfe reported later, he said the table talk was immaterial.
On Friday evenings he climbed to his roost very early, before the family assembled for supper, and waited for his cue, which was the breaking-out of table talk after the blessing of the bread.