from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A corn tortilla folded around a filling such as ground meat or cheese.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Mexican snack food; a small tortilla with some rice, beans, cheese, diced vegetables (usually tomatoes and lettuce, as served in the United States) and salsa.
- n. the vagina. also called pink taco
- n. A yellow stain on shirt armpit caused by sweat or deodorant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (ethnic slur) offensive term for a person of Mexican descent
- n. a tortilla rolled cupped around a filling
Although the term taco comes from a Spanish word meaning “light snack”, the taco itself had its origins in pre-Hispanic times, when the Aztecs and other groups in their empire, using corn tortillas much as Europeans used bread, rolled the tortillas or broke them into pieces to scoop up food.
Some denizen of East Nowhere above asserts that “a taco is a hard shell corn tortilla folded in half w/refritos, beef, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.”
That set off the activist group, a local branch of the Reform Immigration for America organization, which said that anytime someone texts the word "taco" to 69866, it will deliver a taco to the mayor on their behalf.
Tacos Gringos and that $2 small tortilla with a spoonful of oily meat plus whatever that they call a "taco" is a great example of this.
It occurred to me belatedly that in this seaside town, the menu item must refer to the * fish* called dorado rather than the way the taco is prepared!
Ramsay de Give for The Wall Street Journal This fish taco is prepared with seared haddock in a serrano rub, pickled chiles, onions and green tomatillo and avocado salsa.
But he saw through the bullshit immediately and dubbed the taco just OK.
Gordy's County Market is voluntarily recalling taco bratwursts sold in four of its stores, because they contain allergens not listed on the label.
You might think La Lucha made up this over-the-top taco, which happens to be Ruiz's favorite, but it's a Mexico City classic known as taco campechano.
Having grown up on the high plateau of NW Kansas, having a taco was a great adventure.