from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A narrow band or ribbon for the hair that was worn in ancient Greece.
- n. Architecture A band in the Doric order that separates the frieze from the architrave.
- n. Anatomy A ribbonlike band of tissue or muscle.
- n. A flatworm of the genus Taenia, which includes many tapeworms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ribbon worn in the hair in ancient Greece.
- n. A band between the frieze and architrave in the Doric order.
- n. Any ribbon-like band of tissue.
- n. A tapeworm, and similar worms of the genus Taenia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of intestinal worms which includes the common tapeworms of man. See tapeworm.
- n. A band; a structural line; -- applied to several bands and lines of nervous matter in the brain.
- n. The fillet, or band, at the bottom of a Doric frieze, separating it from the architrave.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In classical archæol., a ribbon, band, or head-band; a fillet.
- n. In architecture, the fillet or band on the Doric architrave, which separates it from the frieze.
- n. In surgery, a long and narrow ribbon used as a ligature.
- n. In anatomy, a band or fillet: specifically applied to several parts of the brain, distinguished by qualifying epithets.
- n. In zoology: A tapeworm. [capitalized] The leading genus of tapeworms, of the family Tæniidæ, formerly very comprehensive, now restricted to species like T. solium, the common tape of man. Also Cystotænia. See tapeworm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a narrow headband or strip of ribbon worn as a headband
- n. tapeworms parasitic in humans which uses the pig as its intermediate host
When contacted, Prof Atul Agarwal of CSMMU's neurology department said, NCC is caused by a tape worm called taenia solium.
Apres tu t'changes en taenia géant et tu dois te faire tuer par des survivants d'un naufrage!!
Windward coast, who as strict Moslem will not drink fermented liquors, hold a cup of rum to be the sovereignest thing in the world for taenia.
Male fern (Aspidium filix-mas) is the primary herb of choice for the treatment of tapeworms (taenia).
The majority of pathogens exhibit survival periods which are normally shorter than the growth periods of most vegetables exceptions being the eggs of ascaris or taenia saginata, and the salmonella on root and low growing crops.
Cattle and pigs are intermediate hosts of taenia The transmission cycle involves the contamination of soil and forage by human excrete, then the ingestion of undercooked meat by humans.
The guttae, extending as wide as the triglyphs and beneath the taenia, should hang down for one sixth of a module, including their regula.
The height of the architrave, including taenia and guttae, is one module, and of the taenia, one seventh of a module.
These small tapeworm cysts (taenia saginata) are about the size of a pea and found in the flesh of cattle, which become infected by eating food or drinking water which has been contaminated by the feces of persons harboring adult tapeworms.
The species mentioned specifically are lumbrici and ascarides or cucubitini, though the terms long, round, short and broad are also employed, and probably include the tape worm or taenia lata.