from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A clear, cylindrical glass tube usually open at one end and rounded at the other, used in laboratory experimentation.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A cylinder of thin glass closed at one end, used in testing liquids.
  • noun A chlorometer.
  • The use of the test-tube in chemistry.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun chemistry a glass tube, rounded at one end and open at the other; used for small-scale laboratory tests
  • adjective produced in a test tube
  • adjective conceived or developed in vitro by artificial insemination

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun glass tube closed at one end


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.