from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A light-colored porous calcite, CaCO3, deposited from solution in ground or surface waters and forming, among other deposits, stalactites and stalagmites.
- n. A compact calcium carbonate used as a facing material in construction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several light, porous forms of calcite deposited from solution; found most often as stalactites and stalagmites.
- n. A similar form of limestone used as a facing material in building.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A white concretionary form of calcium carbonate, usually hard and semicrystalline. It is deposited from the water of springs or streams holding lime in solution. Extensive deposits exist at Tivoli, near Rome.
The area around the pool becomes a sunken courtyard paved in travertine with steps and walls of stone.
As far as I know travertine is very UV stable so the floor will not yellow. david on 16 Oct 2008 at 10: 37 am # the home has plenty of overhang to prevent sun damage ..
We find lacustrine marls on the sides of the Esquiline Hill where it slopes down into the Forum, and fresh-water bivalve and univalve shells in the ground under the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius on the Capitol; while on the face of the Aventine Hill, overhanging the Tiber at a height of ninety feet, is a cliff of travertine, which is half a mile long.
So large is the quantity of these eggs, that at a spot where a little stream deposits carbonate of lime, a peculiar kind of travertine is forming which consists of masses of them imbedded in tho calcareous deposit.
It's challenging to tease apart one's love of the massive sculpture from the perfectly proportioned piazza, with its oft-copied egg-shaped travertine pavement pattern, where the statue was permanently placed in 1538.
Out went the long, winding hallways, a bonus room over a garage and materials like travertine floors; in came shorter hallways and porcelain tile floors.
The travertine floors had been freshly waxed, and Tara could smell lemon cleaning solution.
Just as flagstone and travertine work well in a Mediterranean garden design, brick and gravel complement an English garden design.
Fervidus White "In Kiki's house, the use of exposed original stonework, traditional pianelle cotto tiles, the reclaimed chestnut beams, fireplaces and tavolatto planks have been mixed with a more modern-looking travertine flooring, modern furniture, kitchens and bathrooms," said Mr. White.
She put down her pencil and walked across the travertine tile floor and opened the door.