from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The organization, culture, or beliefs of a tribe.
- n. A strong feeling of identity with and loyalty to one's tribe or group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The condition of being tribal
- n. A feeling of identity and loyalty to one's tribe
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of existing in tribes; also, tribal feeling; tribal prejudice or exclusiveness; tribal peculiarities or characteristics.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of existing in separate tribes; tribal relation or feeling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of living together in tribes
- n. the beliefs of a tribal society
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Ameri says it is Gaddafi's regime that introduced the use of the term "tribalism", and did so to "crush the confidence of those in their own western Libya cities" as well as to "confuse outsiders into believing that the Gaddafi regime is all that's holding together a fractured and disunited people".
But that doesn't excuse the tribalism from the people with my skin color who want to deprive honest and hardworking people of the chance to make it in a free society because they don't happen to have a high-IQ.
With a "cold" marketplace filled with anonymous entities, the irrationality of nationalism and tribalism is replaced by the peaceful, harmonic, and natural rationality of individualism.
That sort of inane tribalism is one of the things I dislike the most about politics.
“Such tribalism is not necessary in the same way now, yet we still have those characteristics because they have evolved over two million years.”
But tribalism is at the heart of this in all sorts of ways: attempting to suppress it in the majority, while encouraging it in the ever-growing roll-call of minorities, is not a recipe for a peaceful future.
This kind of politicized tribalism is something we've seen forever in third world countries, without understanding it.
Churchill understands that while tribalism is not the highest good, it provides cohesion in places that would otherwise unravel.
This idea of tribalism translates into branding for the dem party.
This tribalism is hardly unique to Israel and Jews; it’s instead universal.