from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to the sum of 11 + 1.
- n. The twelfth in a set or sequence.
- n. Bible The twelve original disciples of Jesus.
- n. Bible The books of the Minor Prophets in the Hebrew Scriptures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The cardinal number occurring after eleven and before thirteen, represented in Arabic numerals as 12 and in Roman numerals as XII.
- n. A group of twelve items.
- n. A twelve-bore gun.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. One more that eleven; two and ten; twice six; a dozen.
- n. The number next following eleven; the sum of ten and two, or of twice six; twelve units or objects; a dozen.
- n. A symbol representing twelve units, as 12, or xii.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- One more than eleven; twice six, or three times four: a cardinal numeral.
- n. The number made up of ten and two; a dozen.
- n. A symbol representing this number, as 12, XII, or xii.
- n. plural Same as duodecimo.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of eleven and one
- adj. denoting a quantity consisting of 12 items or units
The authority which the Apostles in this way enjoyed, did not, in any great measure, rest on the remembrance of direct services which the twelve had rendered to the Gentile Churches: for, as the want of reliable concrete traditions proves, no such services had been rendered, at least not by the _twelve_.
Under the compartments, and immediately above the cornice, are twelve medallions, which were to represent the _twelve months of the year_, characterized by the different occupations peculiar to them: eight only are executed, and these are the months of summer, autumn, and winter.
In the state of the writer, California, one man in twelve is an avowed and registered revolutionist.
The world number two won the title twelve months ago with a dramatic five sets final over Roger Federer and is looking to recapture that form after a troubled second half of 2009.
Torture a dozen in case one of the twelve is a terrorist.
Mr. ASTATQE: (unintelligible) is very Ethiopian, and what you have, actually, combined is the harmonic stretches, what we call the twelve-tone musical stretches because our musical instruments hasn't reached to that stage, so I have actually to use pianos or guitars to actually combine three - to five-tone scales.
Then you cut that log and you have what you call a twelve foot log.
Our twelve apostles -- that is what we called our twelve boxes -- were lifted in and tied firmly into place.
What seemed to have struck the Amerrycan most, was what he described as the twelve most bewtifool Angels, all most bewtifoolly drest, in most bewtifool close, a playing most bewtifool toons on most bewtifool
"Mr. Gracewood has what he calls a twelve-pounder."