from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Informal A typographical error.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A compositor; a typographer.
  • n. A spelling or typographical error.
  • v. To make a typographical error.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A compositor.
  • n. a typographical error; an error in typing, printing, etc.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An abbreviation of typographic, typographical, or typography.
  • n. A compositor.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a mistake in printed matter resulting from mechanical failures of some kind


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The verb is short for "typographically err".

    January 26, 2018

  • My hero.

    April 28, 2008

  • that works pretty well. i think i'll use that.

    September 26, 2007

  • Um... how about "semantic typo?"

    September 26, 2007

  • Wrestle with, yes. Have word for, no (though I'd like one).

    Semantic typos like that are doubly pernicious because they're usually spellcheck-proof.

    September 26, 2007

  • I'm looking for a word that means "a typo that changes the meaning of the surrounding idea."

    Its something I do all the time. Here's some examples from recent iChat logs:

    meant: I'm not gonna go there tonight.

    typed: I'm not gonna go here tonight.

    meant: you get an A for the trumpet

    typed: you get an A for the trumped

    meant: i like this one so far

    typed: i like this one say far

    meant: new york times

    typed: new your times

    Sometimes I find that its just a missed or mistyped letter, but other times its a word that I was going to write two sentences later, some kinda brain-bored-waiting-for-fingers thing.

    Does anyone else wrestle with this?

    September 26, 2007