from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly British Variant of tire2.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The ring-shaped protective covering around a wheel which is usually made of rubber or plastic composite and is either pneumatic or solid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Curdled milk.
- n. Same as 2nd tire, n., sense 5.
- Attire. See 2d and 3d tire.
- intransitive v. To prey upon. See 4th tire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete spelling of tire.
- n. A preparation of milk and rice used by the East Indians.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hoop that covers a wheel
- n. a port in southern Lebanon on the Mediterranean Sea; formerly a major Phoenician seaport famous for silks
My handsewn leather Zimbabwean boots, soled in tyre rubber, have outlasted any commercial product and still don't let in a drop of moisture.
As in his previous victory in Melbourne, he called his tyre stops right while Hamilton got it wrong after McLaren had let their drivers make the decision; Button made only two pit stops, Hamilton four.
"While there are huge numbers of so-called tyre kickers looking at property websites, those who can qualify for a mortgage or who have the additional equity required are small in number," he said.
The supermarket giant says that by teaming up with an existing big-name tyre supplier, it can offer savings of up to 40 per cent.
The tyre is the result of development efforts in the Superbike and Superstock classes throughout 2009, with the ultimate goal of increasing both consistency and performance.
On my final run, I chose to use the Prime tyre, which is not the best way to go quickly, as you should be able to make the most of the Option, but today the car did not allow me to be significantly faster on the softer tyre, so we decided to try the Prime, after it worked well on my first run in Q1.
The forward push of the road on the tyre is a type of friction commonly referred to as traction, or grip.
The Ford Focus RS WRCs of the Stobart team will be using the hard compound Pirelli Scorpion tyre, which is known to perform well on gravel, throughout the rally.
It feels to me like the left side of the tyre is a little bit too hard and I've got to make sure I get it warmed up.
There are other factors at play too, such as tyre temperature and pressure, which can also contribute significantly to less traction and therefore reduced speed through corners.