from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Shaped like an urn.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Shaped like a pitcher; swelling out like a pitcher as respects the body, and contracted at the orifice, as a calyx or corolla.
- Provided with or contained in an urceolus, as a rotifer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Nat. Hist.) Shaped like a pitcher or urn; swelling below, and contracted at the orifice, as a calyx or corolla.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective botany
Shapedlike an urn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective urn-shaped; large below and contracted toward the mouth
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The female flowers, which are merely composed of a tripid calyx and no corolla, when produced by a tree in full vigor are perfectly urceolate, slightly tinged with green at the base, and well filled by the ovary, whereas the female flowers of weakly trees are entirely yellow, imperfectly urceolate, and approach more to the staminiferous flowers of the male.
The Commercial Products of the Vegetable Kingdom Considered in Their Various Uses to Man and in Their Relation to the Arts and Manufactures; Forming a Practical Treatise & Handbook of Reference for the Colonist, Manufacturer, Merchant, and Consumer, on the Cultivation, Preparation for Shipment, and Commercial Value, &c. of the Various Substances Obtained From Trees and Plants, Entering into the Husbandry of Tropical and Sub-tropical Regions, &c.