from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of whisper.
- adj. that whispers
- adj. associated with whispers
- n. Something that is whispered; gossip; a rumor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a. & n. from whisper. v. t.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Whispered talk or conversation; a whisper, or whispers collectively.
- n. Talebearing, hint, or insinuation.
- Like a whisper; low and non-vocal.
- Emitting, making, or characterized by a low sound resembling a whisper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. making a low continuous indistinct sound
- n. a light noise, like the noise of silk clothing or leaves blowing in the wind
- n. speaking softly without vibration of the vocal cords
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sometimes the whispering is silent, the poor dull head does not know how to go on playing, and then I am sorry for him and I miaow softly in sweet and sharp discord.
Interestingly, whispering is a very effective way of enabling students to enunciate more clearly.
The whispering is also of the portmanteau Seaternal, an undertow of
Lots of speculation on the web, and in whispering circles, about why Obama's foreign trip -- a slam-dunk success substantively and in photo-op terms (Obama laughing with Petraeus in the helicopter was the best) -- hasn't resulted in a polling bump.
And I don't think they will let Lieberman stand behind McCain whispering in his ear during the debates.
Shouldn't you be somewhere next McCain whispering him corrections on statements he makes about foreign policy?
The whispering is heard into the French twentieth century, in the writing of Maurice Blanchot:
De Verceuil also sat, his helmet on the tower floor beside him, reading from a small leather-bound book, whispering the Latin words.
Immediately the boys begin whispering to each other very earnestly.
There came one night at last, when men's hearts burned in them too terribly for sleep, that some one proposed a resolution and sent the word whispering from hut to hut, that we should ask for Ranjoor