from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A cask on a ship used to hold the day's supply of drinking water.
- noun A drinking fountain on a ship.
- noun Slang Gossip; rumor.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Nautical, a cask or butt having a scuttle or hole cut in it for the introduction of a cup or dipper, and used to hold drinking-water. Also called
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun See scuttle butt.
- noun A drinking fountain on board a ship or at a naval station.
- noun The latest gossip; rumors.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun nautical, countable A
buttwith a scuttle, a kegof drinking waterwith a hole cut in it, on board ship.
- noun informal, uncountable
Gossip, rumour, idle chatter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The scuttlebutt is that the RNC might step in a help pay off those debts.
So the latest scuttlebutt is that Google and Dell are getting together and bashing out the first Android phone.
They refuse to give me firm data, but the scuttlebutt is that AT&T is doing likewise.
"" As far as why the junta-connected were so interested in adopting children, the scuttlebutt is that the military culture of 1970s Argentina involved lots of visits to prostitutes.
Okay, so, the scuttlebutt is writers should stay in touch with their readers.
UPDATE: Oh, I totally forgot, but the scuttlebutt is that Hotel Chevalier will be available for free download on the iTunes music store sometime today.
Such details fall into the category of "scuttlebutt" - which is another term for "urban legend".
But that’s just scuttlebutt from the Way, Way Out Left. datingjesus
That doesn’t mean the soap won’t try, but the scuttlebutt is that when David stops shooting in March, Adam will leave Pine Valley alive.
The scuttlebutt is that after back-to-back flops from the director, this Friday’s release puts him in a make or break situation.
Happening May Be Shyamalan’s Last Stand : SF Universe - SF Universe is your Science Fiction central. From SciFi television to movies to books and more. All the latest news, reviews and insights from SciFi experts.