from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Wood engraving, especially of an early period.
- noun The art of printing texts or illustrations, sometimes with color, from woodblocks, as distinct from typography.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Engraving on wood: a word used only by bibliographers, and chiefly for the woodcut work of the fifteenth century.
- noun A process of decorative painting on wood.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The art of engraving on wood.
- noun The art of making prints from the natural grain of wood.
- noun A method pf printing in colors upon wood for purposes of house decoration.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The art of making
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
As early as the mid-1950s—first in her paintings and later with her exquisitely textured xylography "Tecelares"—she concentrated on the interplay of forms and background, often provoking our uncertainty in these works as to whether certain shapes are swallowing or being swallowed by the matter surrounding them.
In any event, the idea, later developed by Medina and Retana, that xylography was used before a real printing-press was established, may have come from this not wholly accurate note.
It is in the fragments, now so rare and precious, of some alphabets -- of some small grammars published for the use of schools about the middle of the fifteenth century -- or in the letters distributed in Germany by the religious bodies commissioned to collect alms, that bibliographers now seek to discover the first processes employed by the inventors of xylography and typography.
It existed at first in manuscript (indeed a manuscript copy is still in existence in the library of the British Museum); but at a very early period it was reproduced by xylography, then coming into use in Europe.
Third year, architectural drawing 7 drawing and modeling of the human figure and modeling of ornaments 10 anatomy 1 xylography, architecture, sculpture or chasing 24
Second year, architectural drawing 7 drawing and modeling of the human figure and modeling of ornaments 20 history of art 1 style 1 perspective and shadows 2 anatomy, xylography, architecture, sculpture, or chasing 10
"I was inspired by looking Hiroshige's one xylography," he said regarding the influence for his story.