Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. By a bill of fare: as, dinner à la carte, that is, a dinner in which only such dishes as have been ordered from the bill of fare are paid for: opposed to table d'hôte, in which a fixed charge is made covering the whole meal, whether all the dishes served in regular course are eaten, or only some of them. See carte, 1.
- adj. Food and drink allowing selection from a fixed list of individually priced options shown on the menu
- adv. By ordering individually priced items from the menu
- adj. (of a restaurant meal) having unlimited choices with a separate price for each item
- n. a menu having individual dishes listed with separate prices
- adv. by ordering items listed individually on a menu
- Borrowing from French à la carte ("on the menu; according to the card"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘à la carte’.
French words and phrases used by English speakers.
Looking for tweets for à la carte.