from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix A ketone: acetone.
- suffix A chemical compound containing oxygen, especially in a carbonyl group: lactone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- suffix a ketone
- suffix any similar compound containing a carbonyl functional group
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A suffix indicating that the substance, in the name of which it appears, is a ketone.
- suffix A termination indicating that the hydrocarbon to the name of which it is affixed belongs to the fourth series of hydrocarbons, or the third series of unsaturated hydrocarbons; as, nonone.
Probably from Greek -ōnē, feminine patronymic suff.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Probably Ancient Greek -όνη (-onē) (Wiktionary)