American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Of, relating to, or characterized by: advisory.
- n. A place or thing used for or connected with: crematory.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Bearing or containing ore: as, ory matters. Also spelled orey.
- A termination of adjectives and nouns of Latin origin, as in auditory, preparatory, etc.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An adjective suffix meaning of or pertaining to, serving for; as in audit
ory, pertaining to or serving for hearing; prohibit ory, amendat ory, etc.
- n. A noun suffix denoting that which pertains to, or
serves for; as in ambulat ory, that which serves for walking; consist ory, fact ory, etc.
- Middle English -orie, from Old North French and Anglo-Norman, from Latin -ōrius, adj. suff., and -ōrium, n. suff. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘-ory’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for -ory.