Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A leveling instrument used for grading earth-work, leveling ditches, etc. It consists of a light wooden frame of three pieces fastened together like the capital letter “A” with a plumb-line suspended from the vertex. To prepare it for use, the two feet are first brought carefully to the same level and the position of the plumb-line is marked on the horizontal crosspiece. In use the two feet may thus be brought level by moving one up or down till the plumbline coincides with the mark on the crosspiece. The two feet of the inclined pieces are frequently placed at some convenient distance apart, as three yards, ten feet, a rod; and the instrument may then also be used for stepping off horizontal distances as well as leveling.
- n. A non-compulsory examination taken in the final two years in British high schools.
- n. In Internet prostitution, a euphemism for anal sex.
- n. the advanced level of a subject taken in school (usually two years after O level)
- Short for advanced level. (Wiktionary)
“A level stratum of a soft, greasy, and very red decomposing granitic clay was exposed along the southwest tide-flats, and quartz veins and blue slates were found on the same side of the island further in!””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘A level’.
words from a novel by mark haddon
aa gets over 40 hits
aardvark 49 hits
abbatoir 103 hits
abjure 138 hits
Looking for tweets for A level.