from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. accounts payable
- abbr. advanced placement
- abbr. airplane
- abbr. air police
- abbr. American plan
- abbr. antipersonnel
- abbr. Associated Press
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Associated Press
- Advanced Placement
- accounts payable
- automatic payment
- access point
- Armed Forces in the Pacific (USPS abbreviation code)
- American plan (hotel rate type)
- Auxiliary Provisions - a naval transport
- Atlantic Pacific - (Global Indicator used for air fare calculations)
- abbr. Amapá, a state of Brazil.
- abbr. adjective phrase; adverbial phrase (Note: to disambiguate, one can use the abbreviations AdjP and AdvP instead.)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An abbreviation of American Protective Association.
- n. Son: a word occurring in Welsh pedigrees and as a prefix in surnames, equivalent to and cognate with Mac (which see), as in Welsh Gruffudd ap Owain, Griffith, son of Owen, Aprhys, Apthomas, etc.: in the Anglicized forms of Welsh names often reduced to P- or B-, as in Preece, Price (Ap-Rhys, Ap-Rice), Powell (Ap-Howell), Bevan (Ap-Evan), Bowen (Ap-Owen), etc.
- n. Assimilated form, in Latin, etc., of adbefore p, as in approbation, appellate, etc.; in older English words a “restored” form of Middle English and Old French a-, the regular reduced form of Latin ap-, as in appeal, appear, approve, etc.
- n. The form of apo- before a vowel, as in apagoge, apanthropy, etc.
- n. An abbreviation of Army Pay Department.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Pakistan Taliban Claims it Carried Out CIA Attack hosted. ap.org MIR ALI, Pakistan (AP) -- The Pakistani Taliban claimed Friday that they used a turncoat CIA operative to carry out a suicide bombing that killed seven American CIA employees in Afghanistan as revenge for a top militant leader's death in a US missile strike.
Propaganda: US China to Reduce CO2, but Not Enough hosted. ap.org AMSTERDAM (AP) -- Even after the US and
Propaganda: US China to Reduce CO2, but Not Enough hosted. ap.org AMSTERDAM (AP) -- Even after the US and China set targets this week for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, the world's combined pledges ahead of next month's climate summit fall far short of what experts say is needed to avert dangerous global warming.
Propaganda: CO2 Cuts May Not Change Daily Life Much hosted. ap.org WASHINGTON (AP) -- Americans 'day-to-day lives won't change noticeably if President Barack Obama achieves his newly announced goal of slashing carbon dioxide pollution by one-sixth in the next decade, experts say.
Maine to Consider Cell Phone Cancer Warning hosted. ap.org AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) -- A Maine legislator wants to make the state the first to require cell phones to carry warnings that they can cause brain cancer, although there is no consensus among scientists that they do and industry leaders dispute the claim.
The coverage also will be available on wintergames. ap.org, which will bear the brands of the AP and a participating local newspaper or broadcaster.
Ap CM YSR Missing along with Helicopter since 8 hours - AP in tension
Propaganda: Kids Swine Flu Shots Recalled; Not Strong Enough hosted. ap.org ATLANTA (AP) -- Hundreds of thousands of swine flu shots for children have been recalled because tests indicate the vaccine doses lost some strength, government health officials said Tuesday.
Not Strong Enough hosted. ap.org ATLANTA (AP) -- Hundreds of thousands of swine flu shots for children have been recalled because tests indicate the vaccine doses lost some strength, government health officials said Tuesday.
Big Bad Pirates Strike Again in Somalia Part 2 hosted. ap.org NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- Danish special forces disrupted the takeover by pirates of a cargo ship in the Gulf of Aden on Friday, in a maneuver rarely undertaken by NATO warships, a naval spokesman said.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.