American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A South Central Niger-Congo language spoken in parts of Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire whose two main varieties are Fante and Twi.
- n. A member of a people of Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire, including the Fante and the Twi.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Akan people.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Akan language and other related languages.
- n. A people who inhabit Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire.
- n. The Niger-Congo language spoken by these people.
- n. A group of languages spoken in Ghana.
- n. A volcano in Hokkaido, Japan.
- n. a Kwa language spoken in Ghana and the Ivory Coast
“Osei Tutu creates free Asante nation 1701; conquers Bono-Mansu in Akan region..”
“Even more interestingly, the Asante are part of a larger group of closely related ethnic groups called the Akan which speak very similar languages.”
“But, like many of the others such as Akan and Cebuano, Cherokee does not have a single registered speaker here.”
“Adai recounted Ruth saying that one of the many things they shared was the matrilineal structure of both Judaism and her Akan culture of Ghana.”
“It is likely that proto-Bantu * Nyàmbé and the word Nyame in the Akan language spoken in Ghana are cognate.”
“Note 6: Both Akan and proto-Bantu derive from the Benue-Kwa period.”
“In the 12th century the Akan people created it out of silk strips, interwoven with meticulous care.”
“Akan was at an age when he should be curious and, if curiosity was a duty, Akan was a dedicated boy.”
“The largest peoples within the cluster include the 3 million Akan in Ghana, 2.9 million Baule in Ivory Coast, 2.4 million Akan in Ghana, 2.3 million Ewe in Ghana, 1.7 million Fon in benin, 1.3 million Ewe in Togo, 1.1 million Edo in Nigeria, and 1.1 million Brong in Ghana. in addition, there are another 43 groups with over 100,000 members each.”
“Migrations of Akan from Ghana into east, Malinke from Guinea into northwest..”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Akan’.
This is not a scientific list based on unified criteria, the sole aim was to collect as many language names as possible.
The list contains the names of the following artificial langua...
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Looking for tweets for Akan.