from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various Native American peoples inhabiting the Ottawa River valley of Quebec and Ontario.
- n. A member of one of these peoples.
- n. Any of the varieties of the Ojibwa language spoken by the peoples called Algonquin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of an aboriginal North American people closely related to the Odawa and Ojibwe, and living mainly in Quebec.
- proper n. The language spoken by the Algonquins, a transitional language between Ojibwe and Abenaki.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a widely spread family of Indians, including many distinct tribes, which formerly occupied most of the northern and eastern part of North America. The name was originally applied to a group of Indian tribes north of the River St. Lawrence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to an Algonquian tribe or its people or language
- n. family of North American Indian languages spoken from Labrador to South Carolina and west to the Great Plains
- n. a member of any of the North American Indian groups speaking an Algonquian language and originally living in the subarctic regions of eastern Canada; many Algonquian tribes migrated south into the woodlands from the Mississippi River to the Atlantic coast
ALGONQUIN - A 20-year-old from Algonquin has been charged with driving under the influence after police said he hit a parked car and a slew of other stationary objects early Thursday.
ALGONQUIN - A 16-year-old Algonquin boy accused of killing his allegedly abusive father had struggled with deep depression and suicidal thoughts, his attorney said Thursday.
ALGONQUIN - A Lake in the Hills man is alleging that his company was defamed by two Algonquin police officers and others.
ALGONQUIN - A woman was taken to the hospital Saturday with minor injuries after she was rear-ended in Algonquin.
ALGONQUIN 139.1, HUDSON 134.25: Algonquin junior Amanda Hubley finished first in all four events to win the all-around with 36.4 points and lead the Tomahawks over visiting Hudson in a Mid-Wach League gymnastics meet.
ALGONQUIN - After eyeing the 750-foot "big hill" at Raging Buffalo Snowboard & Ski Park in Algonquin on Sunday afternoon, Taylor Lauder, 15, decided to stick with the less-daunting bunny hill for her first time snowboarding.
ALGONQUIN - LifeTime Fitness in Algonquin will hold its annual Turkey Trot 5K run/walk this morning.
ALGONQUIN - A 65-year-old Algonquin podiatrist sentenced to six years in prison for using a spy camera to record himself having sex with women in exchange for drugs was released from prison last week, less than two years into his sentence, through a program designed to save the state money.
Both had peeling decals with the name Algonquin Consolidated on the side and a number to call in an emergency.
The term Algonquin, as commonly understood, is not sufficiently comprehensive for the people indicated.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.