from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a Semitic people inhabiting Canaan from late prehistoric times and who were conquered by the Israelites around 1000 B.C.
- n. The Semitic language of the Canaanites.
- adj. Of or relating to ancient Canaan or its people, language, or culture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An ancient Semitic people who occupied Canaan before its conquest by Israelites.
- proper n. A subfamily of the Semitic languages, which were spoken by the ancient peoples of the Canaan region, including Canaanites, Israelites, Phoenicians, and Philistines.
- n. A member of the ancient Semitic people who occupied Canaan before its conquest by Israelites.
- n. A zealot or fanatic.
- n. A member of the Canaanism movement.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the people or language of Canaan.
- adj. Of or pertaining to this sect or its followers; Canaanitic
- adj. zealous or fanatical.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A descendant of Canaan, the son of Ham, and grandson of Noah.
- n. A Native or inhabitant of the land of Canaan, esp. a member of any of the tribes who inhabited Canaan at the time of the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt.
- n. A zealot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A descendant of Canaan, son of Ham (Gen. x. 15-19); more generally, one of the primitive inhabitants of the land of Canaan, named from him, lying between the Jordan and the Mediterranean, and included in modern Palestine.
- n. A title of one of the twelve apostles (“Simon the Canaanite,” Mat: x. 4), called elsewhere (Luke vi. 15, Acts i. 13) Zelotes, that is, the zealot: it is a transliteration of an Aramaic word signifying zeal, or a zealot.
- n. [lowercase] A variety of massive white pyroxene occurring in limestone at Canaan, Connecticut.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the extinct language of the Semitic people who occupied Canaan before the Israelite conquest
- n. a member of an ancient Semitic people who occupied Canaan before it was conquered by the Israelites
From Canaan + -ite. (Wiktionary)