from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Near East and northern Africa, including the Arabs, Arameans, Babylonians, Carthaginians, Ethiopians, Hebrews, and Phoenicians.
- n. A Jew.
- n. Bible A descendant of Shem.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of any of a number of peoples of ancient southwestern Asia including the Akkadians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs.
- n. A descendant of these peoples.
- n. A member of a modern people speaking a Semitic language.
- n. A descendant of the biblical Patriarch Shem.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One belonging to the Semitic race. Also used adjectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A descendant or supposed descendant of Shem, son of Noah.
- Of or belonging to Shem or his descendants. Also Shemite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and northern Africa
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Semites
The term Semite refers to any member of the various ancient and modern peoples originating in that area, including the Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs.
The term Semite was proposed at first to refer to the languages related to Hebrew by Ludwig Schlözer, in Eichhorn's "Repertorium", vol. VIII (Leipzig, 1781), p. 161.
The term Semite was proposed at first for the languages related to the Hebrew by Ludwig Schlözer, in Eichhorn's "Repertorium", vol. VIII
Can someone please inform Rupert, his wife is chinese, he is Jewish and the term Semite means Arab and his son told him off about his same baloney talk.
I hope the article's author knows that the term Semite includes Arabs, so let's get it right.
Your ilk is hyper-quick to call people anti-semites and other slurs-knowing all along that the vast majority of Jews are not Semites (or Arabs) but are using the term Semite to refer to themselves as a ploy to hoodwink OTHER non-semites (goyem) into believing that they have some God-given right to return to Palestine, from whence they do NOT hale.
Anybody can see how mocking an anti-Semite is different from anti-Semitism.
One of the real harms of the campaign to label anyone that disagrees with the politics of the right-wing parties of Israel an Anti-Semite is that when you come across an actual Anti-Semite and label him as such, the term has been diluted so badly that it does not carry the necessary socially ostracizing force.
That Hitler was a rabid anti-Semite is undeniable.
Thus, the anti-Semite is "rightfully" contemptuous of the interlopers and intruders whose Frenchness is achieved or earned, "naturalized" rather than "natural."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.