American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Puppis and Lepus, containing the star Sirius.
- n. astronomy A winter constellation of the northern sky, said to resemble a dog following the hunter Orion. It includes the brightest star in the night sky Sirius, which is appropriately known as the Dog Star.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a constellation to the southeast of Orion, containing Sirius or the Dog Star.
- n. a constellation to the southeast of Orion; contains Sirius
- From Latin canis maior, the "greater dog" (Wiktionary)
- Latin Canis Māior : canis, dog + māior, larger. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Looking for tweets for Canis Major.