American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A star in the constellation Canis Major, the brightest star in the sky, approximately 8.6 light-years distant from Earth. Also called Dog Star, Sothis.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A very white star, the brightest in the heavens, more than half a magnitude brighter than Canopus, the next brightest; the dog-star. Its magnitude is—1.4. It is situated in the mouth of the Dog.
- n. astronomy A bluish-white star in the constellation Canis Major; Alpha (α) Canis Majoris. A vertex of the Winter Triangle and the brightest star in the night sky. It is actually a binary star with a white dwarf companion star.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Astron.) The Dog Star. See Dog Star.
- n. the brightest star in the sky; in Canis Major
- From Latin Sīrius, from Ancient Greek Σείριος (Seirios) (Wiktionary)
- Latin Sīrius, from Greek Seirios, from seirios, burning. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“News is something NEW not old reports that have already been addressed as ulterior motives of a paid opinion to once again demise Sirius from a bitter has been ex CEO.”
“Sirius is thus no different than HBO, Showtime, ABC or even The New York Times.”
“Friday, March 20 2009 its really funny how scared all of this big broadcasting terrestrial radio companies are if they constantly need to publish how bad Sirius is and how wonderful they are.”
“Currently Sirius is leases bandwith and transponder spots from Echostar communications for there sirius broadcast.”
“And Americans will keep signing up for satellite radio, regardle ss of investors 'lack of faith in Sirius XM Radio Inc. Tip Sheet”
“Sirius is the largest holding of the John Hancock fund.”
“I'm guessing he's in Sirius 'room at Grimmauld Place because the room looks like it's been ransacked.”
“Sirius is your best candidate since it would be an early setter in that area by now.”
“Our friend R.U. Sirius is editing a new magazine called h+ and the first issue is available as a free PDF.”
“Biggest disappointment: the utter lack of emotional fallout after Sirius is killed.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Sirius’.
The stars in the sky often have poetic names. Those names are collected here
More randomly-garnered terms from the world of words that don't quite yet fit into my other lists.
Looking for tweets for Sirius.