from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Native American people formerly inhabiting the shores of Cayuga Lake in west-central New York, with present-day populations in Ontario, western New York, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma. The Cayuga are one of the five original tribes of the Iroquois confederacy.
- n. A member of this people.
- n. The Iroquoian language spoken by the Cayuga.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of an indigenous people of North America, part of the Iroquois Confederacy.
- proper n. Their Northern Iroquoian language.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of an Iroquoian people formerly living around Cayuga Lake in New York State
- n. the Iroquoian language spoken by the Cayuga
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Luckily the Cayuga is quite neutral and makes a great base for the Cab Franc fruit to lead the way.
When we bought our house, I was constantly amused by listings which described it as being in Cayuga Heights because kids in my neighborhood go to that elementary school.
It was very confusing when we bought this house that realtor. com kept claiming it was in Cayuga Heights because of the school.
All that day I spent in acquainting myself with the camp which had been pitched, as I say, on the neck of land bounded by the Susquehanna and the Chemung, with a small creek, called Cayuga by some, Seneca Creek by others, intersecting it and flowing south into the Susquehanna.
The opinion I have ever expressed of the advantages of a western communication through the James River, I still entertain; and that the Cayuga is the most promising of the links of communication.
Instant Scouting Report (Now): There's not as much talk about Shead changing positions as there is with Whaley, though he certainly seems like he could play linebacker and had some experience there in high school playing both ways for Cayuga, which is 1A.
Proceeds will benefit Finger Lakes SPCA of Central New York (formerly known as the Cayuga County SPCA).
He knows many different kinds of occult persons such as Cayuga, from the Arkham Indian tribe, a tribe that disappeared from the Earth in the 1590s because of a being called Croatoan.
Then he pointed to the Cayuga and shouted over the wind, I sure hope Mid-Lakes Navigation makes it.
I made the Cayuga snug, then hunkered down in my knotty-pine bunk.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.