from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Charlotte 1 1896-1985. Grand duchess of Luxembourg. Ascending to the throne in 1919, she took her government into exile during the Nazi occupation of Luxembourg and supported her people through regular radio broadcasts. She returned triumphantly in 1945 and ruled until 1984.
- A city of southern North Carolina near the South Carolina border south-southwest of Winston-Salem. Settled c. 1750 and named for the wife of King George III of England, it is the largest city in the state. Population: 630,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A female given name.
- proper n. The largest city in the state of North Carolina.
- n. Designating a type of women's bonnet popular in the 18th and 19th centuries.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Two people went to the hospital after a serious crash in uptown Charlotte early Wednesday morning.
CHARLOTTE -- A new, temporary landmark - towering 110 feet high - now sits on the western edge of uptown Charlotte.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Stephen Jackson scored 18 of his 20 points in the second half and Charlotte rallied to beat the Oklahoma City Thunder 100-92 on Wednesday night to give Michael Jordan a victory in his first game as Bobcats majority owner.
CHARLOTTE -- A 38-year-old middle school teacher was found shot to death in bed in his southwest Charlotte home Tuesday morning.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A man is recovering after a drive-by shooting in north Charlotte
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - While Larry Brown isn't sure how much longer he'll be on the bench, the nomadic Hall of Famer insists Charlotte will be his last coaching job.
CHARLOTTE: A person familiar with the decision says Charlotte hired Ohio State assistant Alan Major as its next basketball coach.
Friday, April 9, 2010 at 11: 30 a.m. CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A person familiar with the decision says Charlotte has hired Ohio State assistant Alan Major as its next basketball coach.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- From massages to Mechanix Wear gloves, there are opportunities for three great deals in the Charlotte area today.
CHARLOTTE - Derrio Green scored 26 points and Charlotte rallied for a 74-64 victory over No. 15 Temple on Wednesday night to end the Owls 'six-game winning streak and create a logjam atop the Atlantic 10.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.