from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To take over or adapt in the name of Christianity: pagan monuments Christianized by early missionaries.
- transitive v. To convert to Christianity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make Christian.
- v. To cause to convert to Christianity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To adopt the character or belief of a Christian; to become Christian.
- transitive v. To make Christian; to convert to Christianity.
- transitive v. To imbue with or adapt to Christian principles.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make Christian; convert to Christianity: as, to Christianize the heathen.
- To imbue with Christian principles.
- To follow or profess Christianity; to approach the character of a Christian.
- Also spelled Christianise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. convert to Christianity
- v. adapt in the name of Christianity
Will we Christianize, which is the only real way to Americanize, the Aliens?
Bill had a dilemma once he got sober: the only place his alcoholic friends were recovering was the Oxford Group, an evangelical sect that had as their express goal to "Christianize" people.
He's the President who went to war against Spain on false pretenses, and then decided to turn the Philippines into a U.S. colony rather than allow it independence so that he could "Christianize" its predominately Catholic inhabitants, leading to a three-year insurrection that cost the lives of more than 4,000 American troops and 220,000 Filipinos.
How I wish these nimrods would stop wasting $$$$ trying to 'Christianize' everyone -- especially with their own, exclusive brand of Christianity!
Ah yes, the decision in 400 to 'Christianize' 'pagan' things since as Christ can cleanse all people, taking over a 'pagan' popular holiday and then giving it a new name involving the word Saint or something like that was very popular.
Why look at just that round and not round one and see where it all started- with the blind support of Israel, support for dictators and America's evangelical desire to "Christianize" the Middle East, that has been going on for decades except for the bible-thumping that started this decade!
This revolution certainly is no pure upsurge of religious fervor, for its plutocratic animus is just as powerful, apparently, as its crusade to "Christianize" the world.
They just had a discussion on operations to "Christianize" Algeria by Western intelligence agencies.
Heather over at A Deconstructed Christian posted an unusual video this week - someone covered a song and attempted to "Christianize" it, and it was... sigh.
Most of the believers I know are trying to tweak the world system and "Christianize" it.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.