from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology and anatomy, a crest, in any sense; a ridge, prominence, or process like or likened to a crest or comb.
- n. In ornithology, specifically— The crest of feathers on a bird's head. The keel of the breast-bone of a carinate bird; the crista sterni.
- n. In anatomy, a ridge or crest for the attachment of a muscle.
- n. A narrow fold of enamel directed inward and backward from a point near the meeting of the protoloph and ectoloph in such a tooth as that of a rhinoceros. See cut under tooth.
- n. A cord-like longitudinal ridge on the dorsal surface of the egg-capsule of cockroaches.
Sorry, no etymologies found.