from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bristlelike part or appendage, such as the awn of grains and grasses or the process near the tip of the antenna of certain flies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the fibrils found on grains or fishes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An awn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, an awn (which see).
- n. In zoology, an awn or tactile filament at the end of the antenna of an insect, as in some Diptera.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bristlelike process near the tip of the antenna of certain flies
Latin, beard of grain, spike.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)