American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A municipal borough of southeast Isle of Man, England, on the Irish Sea. It is a popular seaside resort and the most important city on the island. Population: 26,200.
- Douglas, Kirk Originally Issur Danielovitch. Born 1916. American actor noted for his portrayal of tough characters in films such as Champion (1949) and The Bad and the Beautiful (1953). He won an honorary Academy Award in 1996.
- Douglas, Stephen Arnold Called "the Little Giant.” 1813-1861. American politician who served as U.S. representative (1843-1847) and senator (1847-1861) from Illinois. He proposed legislation that allowed individual territories to determine whether they would allow slavery (1854) and in the senatorial campaign of 1858 engaged Abraham Lincoln in a famous series of debates.
- Douglas, William Orville 1898-1980. American jurist who served as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (1939-1975).
- n. A Scottish surname.
- n. A male given name transferred from the surname.
- n. The capital of the Isle of Man.
- n. United States politician who proposed that individual territories be allowed to decide whether they would have slavery; he engaged in a famous series of debates with Abraham Lincoln (1813-1861)
- From a place name, Goidelic dubh ("black") + glas ("stream"). (Wiktionary)
“Then the earl James Douglas, who was young and strong and of great desire to get praise and grace, and was willing to deserve to have it, and cared for no pain nor travail, came forth with his banner and cried, Douglas, Douglas!”
The Battle of Otterburn. How Sir Henry Percy and His Brother with a Good Number of Men of Arms and Archers Went after the Scots, to Win Again His Pennon That the Earl Douglas Had Won before Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, and How They Assailed the Scots before Otterburn in Their Lodgings
“DOUGLAS - Priceville denied the Douglas girls both their 20th win of the season and the area tournament championship Saturday night, clipping the Eagles 70-61 in the Class 4A, Area 13 finals at Loyd Berry Gym.”
“DOUGLAS - The Boaz varsity girls secured a hard-fought 53-48 victory over rival Douglas on Monday at Loyd Berry Gym.”
“DOUGLAS - The Douglas varsity softball team defeated Class 4A, Area 13 rival Columbia, of Huntsville, 17-3 Thursday on senior night at Eagle Field.”
“DOUGLAS - The Douglas varsity girls won for the 15th time in their last 19 games by blasting Columbia 60-38 Thursday night in the Class 4A, Area 13 Tournament at Loyd Berry Gym.”
“DOUGLAS - With coaches and players from the inaugural 1970 Douglas football team watching from the stands, the Eagles capitalized on turnovers and fended off the Gaylesville Trojans 24-12 in their season opener Friday night at Arthur Jarvis Stadium.”
“DOUGLAS - The Douglas varsity girls celebrated their senior night Jan. 28 by knocking off Oneonta 58-46 at Loyd Berry Gym.”
“DOUGLAS 'REQUESTS: Although Douglas is not a character who is eligible for marriage, you need to complete his Requests if you wish to marry his daughter Mana as one of them will provide you with the Special Proposal Item needed to propose marriage to her.”
“DOUGLAS - Douglas will have a runoff in its mayor's race, the only one that was on the ballot Tuesday.”
“Cline assigned the matter to a cold case squad, and within months, investigators found Pannell living under the alias Douglas Freeman, in”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Douglas’.
"Nebraska established a county-coding system for its passenger plates in 1922. These one- or two-digit prefixes were assigned based on the number of registered vehicles per county in that year. In ...
Looking for tweets for Douglas.