American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A historical region and Anglo-Saxon kingdom of southeast England. Probably settled by Saxons in the early sixth century, the kingdom was long dominated by Mercia and later by Wessex before and after its inclusion in the Danelaw territories from 886 to 917. There are important Roman and Saxon remains in the area.
- An unincorporated community of northeast Maryland, a manufacturing suburb of Baltimore. Population: 39,000.
- Essex, Second Earl of See Robert Devereux.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A breed of black hogs, of small size, named from Essex, England, where the breed had its origin: valued chiefly for rapid growth and early maturity.
- n. A maritime county of England bordered by the North Sea, Suffolk, Hertfordshire and Middlesex, and separated from Kent by the Thames estuary.
- n. a county in southeastern England on the North Sea and the Thames estuary
“When the fight really took place, the Essex was so crippled and the water so smooth that the British ships fought at their own distance; and as they had long guns to oppose to Porter's carronades, this really made the _Cherub_ more nearly suited to contend with the _Essex_ than the latter was to fight the _Phoebe_.”
“G. Poyntz was of South Okendon in Essex, and there is an account of his family in Morant's _Essex_; from which it appears that he was descended from the family of Poyntz of Tockington in _G.oucestershire_, of which there is an account in Atkins 'G.oucestershire.”
“ESSEX JUNCTION - Essex and Essex Junction officials talked over brown-bag dinners Monday about”
“ESSEX - An annual gathering of Christian women of the towns of Willsboro, Essex and”
“ESSEX - Rutland softball coach Dick Wright summarized the Raiders '2-0 Division I semifinal loss to Essex succinctly Tuesday: "You don't get any runs, it doesn't make any difference what the score is, you're not going to win the game.”
“ESSEX - Rachelle Chiasson scored the game-winning goal 5: 38 into the first period as Hartford blanked Essex, 1-0, in high school girls hockey action Saturday.”
“ESSEX, Ont. - The province's Special Investigations Unit has sent three investigators to an area near Essex after a 40-year-old man reported he was injured during an arrest.”
“ESSEX - The voting trend in Essex continued Tuesday, with an opponent of an unpopular tax defeating an incumbent for a seat on the town's Selectboard.”
“ESSEX - Kari Lavalette pumped in 25 points as Essex knocked off Spaulding in overtime, 68-62, in a high school girls basketball game Tuesday evening.”
Looking for tweets for Essex.