from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of central Alaska north-northeast of Anchorage. It was founded in 1902 as a gold-mining camp. Population: 31,100.
- Fairbanks, Douglas Originally Douglas Elton Ulman. 1883-1939. American actor known for his swashbuckling roles in silent films such as Robin Hood (1922). His son Douglas, Jr. (1909-2000), played similar roles in motion pictures such as Gunga Din (1939).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English habitational surname for someone who lived in any of several places named "fair bank" etc.
- proper n. A city in Alaska, USA.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States film actor noted for his swashbuckling roles (1883-1939)
- n. United States film actor; son of Douglas Elton Fairbanks, (1909-2000)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
FAIRBANKS - Fire consumed a trailer off McGrath Road on Monday evening, the fourth blaze to destroy a building in the Fairbanks area in the last week.
FAIRBANKS - Unfolding a metal antenna and plugging it into a small receiver draped around his neck, Knut Kielland climbed on top of the seat of his Ski-Doo Tundra on a snowmachine trail in the Rosie Creek Flats south of Fairbanks on Monday.
FAIRBANKS - Fairbanks police have made an arrest in connection with the armed robbery earlier this week of an Airport Way gas station.
FAIRBANKS - The village of Takotna is getting a new $21 million airport, which translates to almost $500,000 per person in the small Bush village about 300 miles west of Fairbanks.
FAIRBANKS -- Ravens have feelings, too, at least judging from an eerie scene Tuesday morning on Minnie Street in east Fairbanks.
newsminer.com • Couple arrested in connection with meth bust at Fairbanks Correctional Center: "FAIRBANKS — A Fairbanks couple is accused of smuggling methamphetamine into jail by hiding it in the binding of books."
All of my replacement credit or ATM/debit cards are sent to my daughter in Fairbanks, Alaska.
As to our US residence address it is our daughters house in Fairbanks, Alaska, we receive mail at that address, including some small dividend checks.
When in Fairbanks, he travels with Kenelm Philip, the dean of Alaskan collectors and the possessor of thousands of immaculately curated specimens in glass-topped cabinet drawers.
Miller's jump into the Troopergate fray came on Sept. 16, 2008, when he filed suit in Fairbanks to stop an investigation already set in motion by the state's Legislative Council.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.