from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of central Honshu, Japan, at the foot of Mount Fuji. It is an important communications and industrial center. Population: 236,000.
- Mount also Fu·ji·ya·ma (fo͞oˌjē-yäˈmə, -mä) or Fu·ji·no·ya·ma (-nō-) or Fu·ji·san (-sänˈ)Fuji The highest peak, 3,778.6 m (12,389 ft), in Japan, in central Honshu west-southwest of Tokyo. An almost perfectly symmetrical snow-capped volcanic cone, it is a sacred mountain and pilgrimage site. Its last major eruption was in 1707.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Japanese wisteria, Kraunhia Japonica. See Wisteria, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. shrubby Japanese cherry tree having pale pink blossoms
- n. an extinct volcano in south central Honshu that is the highest peak in Japan; last erupted in 1707; famous for its symmetrical snow-capped peak; a sacred mountain and site for pilgrimages
Sorry, no etymologies found.