from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of central Honshu, Japan, at the foot of Mount Fuji. It is an important communications and industrial center. Population: 236,000.
- Mount also Fu·ji·ya·ma (fo͞oˌjē-yäˈmə, -mä) or Fu·ji·no·ya·ma (-nō-) or Fu·ji·san (-sänˈ)Fuji The highest peak, 3,778.6 m (12,389 ft), in Japan, in central Honshu west-southwest of Tokyo. An almost perfectly symmetrical snow-capped volcanic cone, it is a sacred mountain and pilgrimage site. Its last major eruption was in 1707.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Japanese wisteria, Kraunhia Japonica. See Wisteria, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. shrubby Japanese cherry tree having pale pink blossoms
- n. an extinct volcano in south central Honshu that is the highest peak in Japan; last erupted in 1707; famous for its symmetrical snow-capped peak; a sacred mountain and site for pilgrimages
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Erebus is an active volcano, and to those who love the south it is more perfect than FUji even Hockney's Fuji.
I just purchased an alienbees digibee set (2 b800s) i have a fuji s2pro and a nikon d5000 .... my issue right now is that the Fuji has a PC cable connection and the d5000 does not.
Aohkigahara Forest west of Tokyo at the base of Mount Fuji is also known as the "suicide forest."
A Shinto priest at the shrine, Norihiko Nakamura, has categorically stated that "Mount Fuji is a mountain of the world, not an asset for individuals," thus allaying any fears that the shrine might restrict access to Mount Fuji's summit.
As well, the peaceful image of Mount Fuji is said to be a bringer of good luck - as long as it's not an image of it erupting!
Mount Fuji is considered the sacred symbol of Japan.
Personally, I love the name Fuji cause I loved Fuji Velvia slide film!
Fuji is shipping a small color printer that communicates with phonecams via infrared to output mobile snaps.
Incidentally, the Japanese say that the man who has never climbed Fuji is crazy and the man who has climbed it twice is twice as crazy.
i love the name Fuji too :D reminds me of the sweet apple, and the mountain climber dog!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.