from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition or quality of being luminous.
- n. Physics The intensity of light per unit area of its source.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the quality of being luminous
- n. the luminous flux emitted in a given direction divided by the product of the projected area of the source element perpendicular to the direction and the solid angle containing that direction, i.e. luminous intensity divided by unit area; measured in stilbs or apostilbs
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Luminousness: as, the luminance of the stars.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being luminous; emitting or reflecting light
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The first thing I noticed was how bright the display looked-a testament to its luminance, which is measured at
"It has been suggested that double cones are used for achromatic (non-colour) tasks such as luminance, motion and polarization vision," Professor Marshall said.
The "luminance" of the light slowly rises and falls.
Wikipedia definition for contrast ratio, which is as follows: "The contrast ratio is a measure of a display system, defined as the luminance of the brightest color (white) to that of the darkest color (black) that the system is capable of producing.
Now that decisions actually matter, he's finding that the power of his luminance alone is not enough to get the job done.
The thin mountain air allowed for an even brighter luminance.
Â When combined with his light of will, their luminance caused a fatal disruption in the black rings: Â in short, a short, causing the deaders to get blowed up real good.
(Adams said he used the luminance of the moon to calculate the proper exposure.)
The TV comes with 2D and 3D THX Cinema Modes, selected by pushing a button on the TV's gesture-based Magic Motion remote control, which calls up presets for optimum color temperature, luminance and gamma levels.
The main display features high-luminance light-emitting diodes LEDs aligned in a 10 mm dot pitch.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.