from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. In the Bible, an angel who explained signs from God and announced the conception, birth, and mission of Jesus to Mary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A male given name.
- proper n. An archangel associated, in Judaism, Christianity and Islam, with carrying messages from God.
- proper n. A patronymic surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Bible) the archangel who was the messenger of God
From Hebrew גבריאל (Gavrie’l, "man of God"), from גֶּבֶר (géver, "man") and אֵל (el, "God"). (Wiktionary)