from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An Islamic revivalist movement, often characterized by moral conservatism, literalism, and the attempt to implement Islamic values in all spheres of life.
- n. The religious faith, principles, or cause of Islam.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The faith, doctrines, or religious system of the Mohammedans; Mohammedanism; Islam.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The faith of Islam; the true faith, according to the Mohammedans; Mohammedanism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fundamentalist Islamic revivalist movement generally characterized by moral conservatism and the literal interpretation of the Koran and the attempt to implement Islamic values in all aspects of life
- n. the monotheistic religious system of Muslims founded in Arabia in the 7th century and based on the teachings of Muhammad as laid down in the Koran
From Islam + -ism. Compare French islamisme. (Wiktionary)