American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An Islamic revivalist movement, often characterized by moral conservatism, literalism, and the attempt to implement Islamic values in all spheres of life.
- n. The religious faith, principles, or cause of Islam.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The faith of Islam; the true faith, according to the Mohammedans; Mohammedanism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The faith, doctrines, or religious system of the Mohammedans; Mohammedanism; Islam.
- n. a fundamentalist Islamic revivalist movement generally characterized by moral conservatism and the literal interpretation of the Koran and the attempt to implement Islamic values in all aspects of life
- n. the monotheistic religious system of Muslims founded in Arabia in the 7th century and based on the teachings of Muhammad as laid down in the Koran
- From Islam + -ism. Compare French islamisme. (Wiktionary)
“Political Islamism is not a new phenomenon at all (it is as old as Islam itself, Islam is by its nature and dynamics theocratic) and homophobia is not solely or even predominantly a Christian import into Islam.”
“Islamism is a totalitarian ideology adhered to by Muslim extremists (e.g. the Taliban, Wahhabis, Hamas and Osama bin Laden).”
“If militant Islamism is a distortion of their moderate beliefs, only their beliefs can defeat it.”
“The best ally in the struggle against violent Islamism is moderate Islam.”
“Islamism is an ideology in Islam that wants to use the Sharia to its full extent, meaning that secular forms of governments and institutions are considered foreign to a true Muslim society.”
“War against Islamism is supposed to mean war against theocratic fundamentalist Muslim political parties, which would be like a war against our Religious Right.”
“He tells me that he has read some of my writing on Islamic fundamentalism, but — and of course I'm not convinced by this — he doesn't think Islamism is weighty enough to become the third totalitarianism that will set the great machinery of history back in motion.”
“As Dalrymple said only the other day, British Islamism is a potent cocktail of Islamnic grievance with Brit liberal guilt.”
“But if Islamism is not on the march — if al-Qaeda lacks inherent appeal and can mobilize followers only by capitalizing on America's blunders — then competence, not ideology, is exactly what America needs.”
“Just as political Islam is often called Islamism to differentiate the fascist political doctrine from the faith, the ideology laid out in these papers could be called Christianism.”
‘Islamism’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Islamism.