from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of Muhammadanism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. the religious system introduced by Muhammad, Islam
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. The religion, or doctrines and precepts, of Mohammed, contained in the Koran; Islamism; Islam. The term Islam is preferred by most Moslems, and some find the term Mohammedanism to be offensive, as they worship Allah, not Mohammed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Mohammedan religion and polity; the religious and ethical system taught in the Koran; Islamism.
- n. Belief in or adherence to the teachings of Mohammed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the monotheistic religious system of Muslims founded in Arabia in the 7th century and based on the teachings of Muhammad as laid down in the Koran
Mohammedan + -ism, coined in the 17th century after French mahométisme. (Wiktionary)