from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Motivated by Islamic beliefs, particularly in the political sphere (e.g. a supporter of the introduction of sharia law).
- adj. Relating to Islam, particularly orthodox Islam.
- n. A person who espouses Islamic fundamentalist beliefs.
- n. A person who specializes in Islamic studies.
- n. A Muslim, particularly an orthodox Muslim.
From Islam + -ist. First attested in the mid-1980s in English. First usage is in 1855 here: H. H. Milman Hist. Lat. Christianity (1864) IX. xiv. iii. 108 (Wiktionary)