American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An ancient city of Palestine near the northwest shore of the Dead Sea. A stronghold commanding the valley of the lower Jordan River, it was, according to the Bible, captured and destroyed by Joshua.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A place of tarrying—that is, a prison.
- n. A place very distant; a remote place: as, to wish one in Jericho.
- n. His kick was tremendous, and when he had his boots on would—to use an expression of his own, which he had picked up in the holy wars—would send a man from Jericho to June. Barham, Ingoldsby Legends (Grey Dolphin).
- n. informal A place of retirement or concealment (see 2 Sam. 10:5).
- n. An ancient town in the West Bank.
- n. A surname
- n. a village in Palestine near the north end of the Dead Sea; in the Old Testament it was the first place taken by the Israelites under Joshua as they entered the Promised Land
- From Hebrew יריחו (Yerikhó). (Wiktionary)
“s=jericho Link to Fancast owned by Comcast — watch episodes of Jericho and leave comments”
“JERICHO/RAMALLAH - Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad holds news conference in Jericho on Palestinian prisoners.”
“I hear "Jericho" is an excellent show and am glad fans got it back on TV, but I just can't bring myself to watch people struggling with the possible end of the world.”
“The Palestinian Prisoners Society (PPS) reported that female detainee Mariam Tarabeen, a [female detainee] from Jericho, is still in solitary confinement in an Israeli detention facility for more than four years without any justification.”
“In FlashForward, Jericho is a military contractor that provides private armies to the highest bidder.”
“The tree is located in Jericho, the first city conquered by Joshua when the Israelites crossed into Canaan.”
“It was sometimes called Jericho "the perfumed" because of its great gardens of roses, and its balsam plantations from which they made perfumes that were sold in all the East.”
“Jericho'-knock off' Day One 'might get series order and launch in' Heroes 'time slot [Cool]”
Looking for tweets for Jericho.