from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- In the Bible, King David's father and the progenitor of the line of Jesus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The father of king David.
- proper n. A male given name of biblical origin.
- proper n. A female given name, a variant of Jessie.
- n. A representation of the genealogy of Christ, in decorative art, such as a genealogical tree in stained glass or a branched candlestick.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genealogical tree represented in stained glass.
- n. A candlestick with many branches, each of which bears the name of some one of the descendants of Jesse; -- called also tree of Jesse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of the father of David and ancestor of Jesus, used in several phrases with reference to Isa. xi. 1: “And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots.”
- n. By extension and erroneously, any large and showy branched candlestick or chandelier intended for ecclesiastical use.
- n. A term occurring only in the following phrase:
From Ancient Greek Ἰεσσαί (Iessai), from Hebrew יִשַׁי (Yishai) (Wiktionary)