from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- In the Bible, a son of Jacob and Leah and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Third son of Jacob, by his wife Leah.
- proper n. One of the Israelite tribes, descended from Levi; the tribe from which priests were selected.
- proper n. A male given name.
- proper n. A Jewish surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (New Testament) disciple of Jesus; traditionally considered to be the author of the first Gospel
From Hebrew לֵוִי, a name in the book of Genesis. (Wiktionary)