American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See Table at Bible.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A canonical book of the Old Testament, the third book of Moses or of the Pentateuch, containing principally the laws and regulations relating to the priests and Levites and to religious ceremonies, or the body of the ceremonial law. Abbreviated Lev.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The third canonical book of the Old Testament, containing the laws and regulations relating to the priests and Levites among the Hebrews, or the body of the ceremonial law.
- n. the third book of the Old Testament; contains Levitical law and ritual precedents
- Derived from the Latin Liber Leviticus which is from the Greek (το) Λευιτικόν (i.e., βιβλίον). In Jewish writings it is customary to cite the book by its first word, וַיִּקְרָא (Vayikrá, "and he called"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Late Latin Levīticus, from Greek Leuītikos, Levitical, from Leuītēs, Levite; see Levite. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Likewise with blasphemy, dealt with summarily in Leviticus 24: 16: “And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stonehim.””
“You shouldn't care a wit if 14 of them think Leviticus is Divine Law.”
“Indeed, pretty much all of the rituals outlined in Leviticus have changed dramatically or been more or less discontinued.”
“And regarding the “men lying with men as with women” prohibition in Leviticus, some people have likewise argued that it only bans certain types of homosexual acts (such as anal sex, or sex with temple prostitutes), and is not a general, blanket prohibition on same-sex erotic affection in allcases.”
“Now that was interesting; learning the laws of sacrifice in Leviticus, which we spent an entire year on in Torah, was not.”
“Glenn Stanton must consider it a serious conversation only when Leviticus is frequently quoted.”
“The prohibition against eating pork is found in Leviticus, the same biblical text that prohibits homosexuality.”
“Two in Leviticus and one in Romans. jesus will love you if you go to the link @210 and answer those simple little questions.”
“All that their religion preaches these days is the Genesis account of creation, the icky sex stuff in Leviticus, the craziness of Revelations and the Second Amendment.”
“This is the punishment proscribed in Leviticus 20.”
Looking for tweets for Leviticus.