from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pole decorated with streamers that those celebrating May Day hold while dancing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Maypole in the Vocabulary.
- n. A tall pole erected in an open place and wreathed with flowers, about which the rustic May-day sports were had.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pole around which the people dance in May-day festivities.
- n. An ale-stake.
- n. A tree of Jamaica, Spathelia simplex, of the order Simarubeæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vertical pole or post decorated with streamers that can be held by dancers celebrating May Day
Sorry, no etymologies found.