American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Slang A Murphy game.
- n. Slang A potato.
- Murphy, William Parry 1892-1987. American physician. He shared a 1934 Nobel Prize for discovering that a diet of liver relieves anemia.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A potato.
- n. A common Irish surname, the Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Murchadha
- n. A male given name in occasional use, transferred from the surname.
- n. An Irish or white potato.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Humorous A potato.
- n. an edible tuber native to South America; a staple food of Ireland
- From Murphy, a common Irish name. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“ROYCE MURPHY: Huckabee Commuted Sentence, Murphy Was Freed.”
“William Murphy came up with the wall-bed concept at the turn of the 20th century, according to Matthew Lahn , general manager of Murphy Bed Co., which calls itself the "original Murphy Bed Company," although any manufacturer can use the name Murphy bed.”
“KEY RETURNEES: Kevin Murphy is the key to the Golden Eagles being competitive in 2010-11.”
“THE GOOD NEWS: Kevin Murphy is looking like a star in the Ohio Valley Conference right now, with two more years in the fold after finishing as the fifth-best scorer in the conference this year as a sophomore.”
“The comparison of the 6-0 Iverson to the 5-9″ Calvin Murphy is insightful.”
“I have a sinking feeling that geoengineering will follow what I call Murphy's Law of Unintended Consequences: Whatever can go wrong, will, and it's probably something you didn't think of.”
“Murphy is cute and appealing; but I believe that before this was tagged a Murphy vehicle, there was an interesting screenplay that is only glimpsed at the end.”
“DONNELLY: You see, there would be zero tolerance if anyone disagrees, if the new lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender, what we call Murphy's LGBT Law, passes.”
“This is part of what he called Murphy's Law of Economics.”
“Louis Murphy, Florida, 6-3, 203: Depending on how he matures, Murphy is seen as a boom-or-bust prospect.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Murphy’.
Looking for tweets for Murphy.