from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Musaceae — large tropical herbs, commonly known as banana plants.
- proper n. A male given name, the Arabic form of Moses.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A genus of perennial, herbaceous, endogenous plants of great size, including the banana (Musa sapientum), the plantain (Musa paradisiaca of Linnæus, but probably not a distinct species), the Abyssinian (Musa Ensete), the Philippine Island (Musa textilis, which yields Manila hemp), and about eighteen other species. See Illust. of banana and plantain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of monocotyledonous plants, type of the order Scitamineæ and the tribe Museæ, known by its tubular calyx.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Musaceae: bananas
Sorry, no etymologies found.