Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of monocotyledonous plants, type of order Scitamineæ and the tribe Museæ, known by its tubular calyx. There are about 20 species, natives of the tropics. They are herbs with thick smooth tree-like stems formed of sheathing petioles, rising 5 to 30 feet high from solid watery bulbs, with large oblong leaves from 3 to 20 feet long, and yellowish flowers in the axils of large ornamental bracts (often purplish), (he whole forming a long nodding spike. M. sapienlum is the banana.M. paradisiaca (perhaps not distinct from the former) is the plantain. M. textilis is the Manila hemp. The finest ornamental species is M. Ensete, the Abyssinian banana. See cuts under
- n. A taxonomic genus within the family Musaceae — large tropical herbs, commonly known as banana plants.
- n. A male given name, the Arabic form of Moses.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) A genus of perennial, herbaceous, endogenous plants of great size, including the banana (Musa sapientum), the plantain (Musa paradisiaca of Linnæus, but probably not a distinct species), the Abyssinian (Musa Ensete), the Philippine Island (Musa textilis, which yields Manila hemp), and about eighteen other species. See
Illust.of banana and plantain.
- n. type genus of the Musaceae: bananas
“Çek git bebe? im (gül? ah & musa) music video by Gül? ah - Musa added on 2008-12-27”
“General Dan McNeil ordered immediate air strikes in Musa Qala.”
“In October of 2006, the British and Danish forces stationed in Musa Qala handed security authority to local elders in exchange for a neutral zone in which neither Taliban, nor Coalition forces were allowed to enter.”
“Afghan officials initiated negotiations with Mullah Abdul Salaam Alizai, a powerful and influential tribal leader, who was holed up in Musa Qala with thousands of his followers.”
“San Antonio died in Musa Qulah, Afghanistan, on June 14, when his convoy came under enemy small arms fire during combat operations.”
“According to the U.N., a single banana plant, preserved in a botanical garden in Calcutta, contains DNA that is immune to black sigatoka it is called Musa acuminata spp burmannicoides.”
“I took no notice of him, and after he had spent a good deal of talk, which we could hear, he called Musa and asked what I meant.”
“I took no notice of him, and after he had spent a good deal of talk, which we could hear, he called Musa and asked what”
“Cpl. Tanner J. O'Leary, 23, of Eagle Butte, S.D., died Dec. 9 in Musa”
“But Al – Kutádah declareth that it was revealed on account of sundry Companions of the Apostle of Allah, namely, Ali ibn Abí Tálib and Othmán bin Musa’ab and others, who said, ‘We will geld ourselves and don hair cloth and make us monks.’”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Musa’.
Looking for tweets for Musa.