from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Native American people formerly inhabiting Rhode Island west of Narragansett Bay, with present-day descendants in the same area. The Narragansett were nearly exterminated during King Philip's War in 1675-1676.
- n. A member of this people.
- n. The Algonquian language of the Narragansett.
- n. Any of a breed of small sturdy saddle horse developed in Rhode Island.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of an Algonquian Native American tribe that formerly inhabited the shores of Narragansett Bay.
- proper n. The extinct Algonquian language that was spoken by this tribe.
From a Narragansett place name.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)